Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Today is gonna be the day . . .

The extent of self-deception never ceases to amaze me. For at least the past 10 years, I have convinced myself every morning that I as soon as I finished my task for the day (school, work, random others) that I would come home, plop straight in bed and sleep until Kingdom come. In those last ten years, I have fulfilled that self-promise at most ten times. Once a year, I make good on my autonomous pledge. About two-to-three hours in my day, it dawns on me that I will not be retiring to bed when I get home like I promised and curse myself for waking up. What amazes me about the situation is not my persistent ability to deceive myself, but that at six am amongst the cacophonous chorus of my Sony Ericsson T470 cell phone/alarm clock, I actually believe in good faith that today will be the day I make good on a promise.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

i'm studying for five finals- what are you doing brian doyle? come dec 18th, there will be much blogging. actually there will probably be a short picture blog tonight. so just hold your horses. stop tempting me to be a bad student.