Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween from your local establishments

I walked into Matthews Medical Bookstore today and I was greeted by a bowl of candy. “Fantastic,” I said to myself as I eyed the treats and continued walking. The friend I was with bought a box of gloves and the cashier then offered us some cider from a nearby jug. We obliged and it wasn’t until that moment it dawned on me that this was a Halloween promotion. They had apples for sale, candy corn in cups, a candy bowl, and a selection of Halloween/autumnal scrubs out front. I even eyed an orange stethoscope which I would not be shocked to find was part of the promotion. I am not sure the exact daily patronage of the Matthews Medical Bookstore, but let me just say that other than at the beginning of the semester, I have never had any company in the store. Needless to say, on this day, I was surprised to find the lengths the staff had gone to prepare for the Halloween festivities.

The Medical Bookstore party got me thinking of all the crazy promotions that places use. I can understand a car dealership, furniture store, or even a large Barnes and Noble type bookstore using such a promotion. But for maybe ten customers a day, it seemed like the Halloween party was a little much. I mean, I appreciated it, and maybe that’s the point, but I also walked away feeling depressed. I just imagined people all over setting up little Halloween promotions for twelve customers. I suppose I should have been more hopeful. Maybe the goal wasn't to make more money, just to show people a little love. I enjoyed the friendliness, but the thought of someone planning such an event and only fifteen people witnessing it seemed a bit crazy. In retrospect, however, I am starting to feel quite fond of the experience (maybe my evening beverage is playing a role, but still). I am glad that someone took the time for their co-workers and a few customers to spice up the day. Happy Halloween to you Matthews Medical Bookstore of Detroit. I hope someone buys your orange scrubs.

No comments: