Saturday, October 27, 2007

The real meaning of Halloween

Somewhere from eight years old to twenty-two years old Halloween transitioned from being about chocolate candy to being about eye-candy. However, the costumes remain largely unchanged, only slightly suffixed. The following former costumes vampire, cowgirl, ghost, zombie and cheerleader have now been turned into vampire-slut, cowgirl-slut, ghost-slut, zombie-slut and, well cheerleader. I guess some things never change (kidding in case any of my extra-spirited friends are reading). However, the fact that girls use Halloween as an excuse to dress skanky is almost as cliché as using a sheet to make a ghost costume. My class party this year even has an award for “most provocative.” I am guessing they are not taking about a costume that really makes you think.

However, the flip side of the female’s role, is the standard costume’s guys wear. Sometimes we’ll attempt to be comical and fail just slightly short. For example, a couple years back I went as “guy caught in a windstorm” and a friend went as “guy being electrocuted.” Other than him having an extension cord sticking out of his fly, I don’t think we quite pulled it off. However, I think the bulk of Halloween costumes for guys are attempts to be some sort of archetypal Chuck Norris like character. I have seen costumes for Rambo, Neo (of the Matrix), hardcore cops, and a slew of other large gun slinging characters. I am not sure what Halloween costumes say about a person. Maybe that girls want attention and guys want to be Chuck Norris. Then again, tell me something I don’t know.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

You're becoming quite the blogger, Brian. There's no way I can keep up with you!

Jenna said...

PS- you've inspired me to be better about noticing things in my everyday life to blog about- and i enjoy it. thanks.